Lemon Oil for Skin I Benefits & DIY Recipes
“If you have lemons you make lemonade, so if you have Lemon Essential oil you make your skin healthy and glowing. “
Lemon Essential oil is also known as "Liquid Sunshine". This is mainly due to its Golden yellow color, Refreshing aroma, its Purifying abilities and Burst of energy if offers. Lemon Essential oil is one of the oils which has most powerful anti-microbial properties and is a rich source of Vitamin C.
In its aromatic forms, it is commonly used for aroma-therapeutic purposes. It yields high antioxidant properties and is often used in natural beauty products like cleansers, Face and body wash, hair care products and more. This oil offers a plethora of benefits for skincare or hair care routines.
In this blog we will discuss how to use lemon essential oil for skin and how you can use Lemon oil in your daily regime. While going over some promising health benefits gathered from scientific studies conducted on the pure lemon essential oil.
What is Lemon Oil? How is it derived?
The lemon tree is a tropical plant, with serrated leaves. It originates in countries like India and Africa, though some state that China is where it was first cultivated. Lemon essential oil, derived from lemon peels, has a sweet and sharp fragrance. It is extracted by cold pressing the citrus fruit peel and comes out of as a beautiful yellow-green liquid which has intense citrus aroma.
How Lemon Essential Oil works on Skin
Pure Lemon Essential oil astringent and detoxifying in nature. It has antiseptic properties which help treating skin and helps clear marks. Lemon essential oil is know to posses strongest anti-microbial properties amongst essential oils. This helps prevent occurrence of pimples and acne, along with other skin infections. Astringent properties present in this oil helps tighten skin and can prevent sagging of skin which happens due to ageing.Organic lemon oil is also known to brighten skin tone ands bring back buster to dull skin while reducing excess oil from skin.
What are the benefits of using Lemon essential oil for skin?
Lemon essential oil is a marvellous ingredient, especially when used in the cosmetics industry. Having antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal and astringent qualities, this purifying liquid can be used in a variety of cosmetic beauty preparations such as soap, cleansers and hair care products with ease.
It's a natural disinfectant that's been shown to effectively treat skin issues such as blemishes, general body odour, minor wounds, and even insect bites. Let's look at the various benefits offered by cold-pressed lemon essential oil for skin.
- Cure Acne - Organic Lemon essential oil is beneficial in the battle against ageing spots on your skin due to their oil-free trait and gentle astringent properties. It comes from the peel of the lemon, which is rich in vitamin C, promotes collagen production in your skin and aids against wrinkles and acne
- Prevent premature skin ageing: lemons, when added to anti-ageing skincare formulations, can help fight free radicals that cause premature ageing of the skin. Free radicals can wreak havoc on the skin's appearance and structure, so we are glad that essential oils like lemon oil (rich in antioxidants) can help combat this! When used as an ingredient in a cosmetic or skincare product, lemon oil is a natural astringent and anti-microbial agent, making it very helpful for oily facial skin that needs brightening
- Skin Lightening: Lemon essential oil is a powerful, natural way to brighten and lighten your skin naturally. It has the unique property of being a powerful astringent that helps balance out the skin and speed up skin cell regeneration. Pure lemon essential oil contains alpha-hydroxy and citric acid which help exfoliate dead cells and deep clean pores by safely cleansing them from within. This essential oil also has limonene compounds that help bleach hyperpigmentation and dark spots on your skin so it will look fresh and healthy.
- Tones skin: Cold-pressed lemon oil can help tone and even out your skin. This oil is a natural toner and can reduce sebum production in your skin's sebaceous glands, as well as regulate the size of pores on your face and help you have a fresher, clearer looking complexion. These toning properties will keep the skin looking healthy and moisturized.
- Heal wounds- Lemon oil contains natural compounds such as glycerides and limonoids that have strong antiseptic and disinfectant properties. These compounds are responsible for making lemon oil an effective agent in cleaning areas of minor skin abrasions, cuts and wounds. The antifungal properties of lemon oil can make it an extremely helpful ingredient when applied topically to treat fungal diseases.
- Reduces Dark Circles- Lemon essential oil works well on dark circles as it helps brighten and lighten them due to its astringent properties. It tightens and renews cells around the eyes, nourishing them and reduces discolouration due to the presence of Vitamins like Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Magnesium and Potassium.
Lemon essential oil for Skin I DIY Recipes
The antioxidants present in Lemon oil work wonders as these prevent free radicals on your skin. It can prevent premature aging and boosts collagen production. here are some easy DIY recipes which can help you tackle various skin problems.
Recipe1- Lemon essential oil and Coconut oil for Oily Skin
Coconut oil is rich in antibacterial and antifungal properties, which is why it’s been proven to have positive effects on the skin. Together, cold-pressed lemon essential oil and coconut oil work as a kind of acne lotion that moisturizes and nourishes the skin while simultaneously repairing it from within to naturally keep your complexion clear.
- 2 drops Cold-pressed lemon essential oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Take a bowl and add 2 drops of lemon essential oil to 1tbsp coconut oil.
- Mix it will and apply on the area which is wounded or where you have acne and massage lightly.
- Leave it for 10mins and wipe with a clean cloth.
- Try to avoid direct sun contact while using lemon oil as citric acid can irritate the skin.
Recipe 2- Lemon and Tea Tree oil for Acne
Antiseptic propertjes of lemon oil can help eliminate acne. Tea Tree essential oil is one of the best essential oils for acne and helps get rid of the acne causing bacteria. Aloe Vera Gel acts as a perfect base for this mask and provides nourishment as well as moisturisation to skin.
- 3 drops of Organic Lemon essential oil
- 3 drops Tea Tree essential oil
- 1 tbsp Aloe Vera Gel
- Combine all the ingredients together
- Apply this mixture on acne scars and leave overnight
- Rinse with water next morning for a refreshing look
Recipe 3- Lemon Oil Serum for Even Skin tone
Lemon Essential oil contains alpha-hydroxy acids and citric acid which helps bleach, lighten and tone skin naturally. The astringent properties of frankincense oil help in treating acne, reducing large pores, and tightening of your skin. This serum will help in revealing a brighter skin tone underneath and reduces hyperpigmentation.
- 5 drops lemon Essential oil
- 5 drops Frankincense Essential oil
- 30ml Sweet Almond oil
- In a glass bottle, combine all the ingredients
- Cap the bottle and gently shake to mix all the ingredients
- Cleanse your face and apply 5-6 drops of this serum on damp skin. Massage lightly into the skin to ensure absorption.
Recipe 4- Lemon and Olive oil Face mask for Rejuvenated Skin
Olive oil is rich in vitamins and nutrients and has been linked to anti-ageing effects on the skin and clearer looking complexions. Rhassoul clay deeply cleanses skin, removes blackheads and tightens pores. This face mask will help enhance circulation for a clear, rejuvenated complexion.
- 5 drops Organic Lemon essential oil
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Rhassoul Clay
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl
- Using spoon, thoroughly mix all the ingredients until a smooth paste is formed
- Cleanse face and apply a thick coat of this paste
- Leave this mask for 10 minutes and then rinse with cold water
Is Lemon essential oil safe for skin?
Yes, lemon essential oil is safe to use for skin. Citric acid, limonene, and terpineol are abundant in this oil, making it excellent in eliminating toxins.it is a great component to use in cleansers, shower gels, and soaps since it may help keep your pores clear while also eradicating the bacteria that causes acne in those with oily skin.
Lemon oil also help exfoliate oily skin with acne-prone qualities. it penetrates deep into the pores to remove built-up dirt and grime that can impede the outflow of oil and other bad microorganisms. It also contains tannic properties, which help to tighten the skin and seal pores, avoiding additional inflammation.
It is important to note that lemon essential oils is photosensitive in nature and should not to be applied to skin that will be exposed to sunlight within 12 hours.
Few things to consider before using lemon essential oil
- Lemon oil is acidic since it contains critical acid, which may cause skin irritation in some people. As a result, a patch test on the back of your elbow is recommended before usage. Observe, and if you develop an adverse response within 24 hours, cease using it immediately and consult a doctor.
- Essential oils are for external use only and should never be ingested
- Store essential oils out of reach of children and store them apart from other products. Some essential oils can be fatal to pets and therefore always research before using them
- Lemon oil must ALWAYS be diluted before applying on skin as they are highly concentrated as can cause irritation. You can dilute them in carrier oil of your choice and the max concentration of essential oils should be 3-4%
- It is unclear what effects essential oils have on pregnant and breastfeeding women. While some consider them safe, many doctors advice pregnant women to avoid use of essential oils
- Always buy pure essential oils and stay away from fake counterparts as they wont contain same therapeutic benefits
The benefits that lemon oil has to offer makes it a prized and much-used ingredient for aromatherapy and cosmetic beauty products. It has refreshing, stimulating and energising aroma which makes it a very sort after essential oil. It is reputed for its powerful anti-microbial properties. It can also help boost energy and metabolism, uplift mood, enhance skin, and disinfect surfaces. Due to its innumerable uses, it is often used in skincare and haircare products.
Is Lemon Oil good for Oily Skin?
Lemon oil contains astringent properties which can help improve complexion, reduce large pores which are often found in oily skin. Lemon essential oil also helps clear pores and removes bacteria buildup which is important for oily and acne prone skin.
Can you apply Lemon oil directly on skin?
Lemon essential oil is highly concentrated and should never be applied directly on skin. It must always be diluted with a carrier oil like Almond oil or Jojoba oil before applying on skin.
Where can I buy pure Lemon essential oil?
Moksha is suppliers of 100% pure and natural lemon oil online at wholesale prices. Each batch of lemon oil is tested in our in-house lab to ensure purity and quality. Our lemon oil is cold pressed and is of therapeutic grade. We ship across Untied states using our network of trusted shippers like DHL, Fedex etc.
You may also like: